Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Jack's Speech

Today was the first day of Jack's new speech therapy. We were going through the Orange County Regional Center from the time Jack was about 21 months old until he turned 3 years old (the age limit that the OC Regional Center works with). After he turned 3 years old, we had him evaluated and it showed he was still slightly delayed but boarder-line for qualifying to additional help. Fortunately they did put him in the school districts speech therapy called TALK. But they couldn't start him right then or over the summer, so we waited until today to start.

We had not talked to Jack about starting speech again until yesterday. Jack, in true form, took it all in stride and had no problem going to speech. He even told Brooke, as he was walking out the door, that he was going to speech, that he'd miss her and that he'd be back in half an hour!

He'll be going twice a week for 30 minutes each session. And he has already won over the teachers, who said what a sweetheart he is. He has some homework that we'll work on, which he is excited to do, to "help me talk" as he says.

I feel that his speech has improved over the past several months - not just in pronouncating but also in use. Here are a couple dialogs that we've had recently with Jack:

Mommy: Jack, are you suppose to be touching my (work) computer?
Jack: Nope.
Mommy: Then why are your cars on the computer?
Jack (in an exasperated, well "of course" tone): Because they had to park somewhere!

Daddy: Sorry Jack (for bumping into him while walking in Target)
Jack: No prob.


Mommy: Good night Jack.
Jack: Good night Mommy.
Mommy: I love you Jack.
Jack: I love you too -- sweet dreams!

Mommy (in the car, playing I Spy): I spy a red truck.
Jack: I spy a crying baby (a.k.a. his sister Brooke)!


Jack: I need a plate.
Daddy: What for?
Jack: For my cookie!


Mommy: Jack, stop jumping on the couch.
Jack: I'm not jumping, I'm bouncing.

Mommy (as I'm putting him back into his bed at 5:40am): Try to go back to sleep Jack.
Jack: I like you Mommy.
Mommy: I like you too Jack.
Jack: I love you too Mommy.


Jack (after telling Daddy what he did at preschool): You got me?

Daddy: Please stop picking your nose. If I wasn't here with a tissue what would you do with that?
Jack: I'd wipe it on myself.

Jack: Do you know that dude at preschool?

Murphy (our cat who meows all the time): Meow.
Jack: Get real Murphy.

Jack: Yo-ho-yo-ho, it's a pirate's life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment