Saturday, November 14, 2009

Our First 5K

I'm not an athletic person, by any stretch of the imagination! Running is not something I do. And although Scott has run 2 marathons, I just stood at the sidelines cheering him on. So the idea of even walking a 5K was something I hadn't ever considered doing.... until now.

When we came home with Jack, I frantically tried to find a home day care. I thought I had a good lead, but when we visited them, there was no way I leaving my child there. I didn't know where to look. I called a friend/co-worker who had a best friend with small children. My friend/co-worker put me in touch with her best friend, Nicole. And I will forever be grateful for Nicole, for she introduced me to Grandma Patti. Grandma Patti took Jack into her home and heart from the time Jack was 1 year old until he was about 2.5 years old. Without Nicole introducing us to Grandma Patti, I don't know what we would have done.

I got to know Nicole for the first few months of Jack being with Grandpa Patti, as Nicole's youngest was still with Grandma Patti. Nicole is just one of those people that everyone wants to be around because she is just, simply stated, a great person.

Unfortunately, about 18 months ago, her husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I have followed their heroic (and it truly is nothing short of heroic) journey battling this. Both Nicole and her husband have maintained a positive outlook - one we all could learn from.

This morning, they were part of a fundraising run/walk/bike to raise money for pancreatic cancer. So we went out and walked (the kiddos in a stroller) the 5K to support them. It was a beautiful and inspiring day.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! So glad you did that.. and for such a good cause. I like Gup in his race shirt! Sweeeet!

    ReplyDelete