We had our second parent-teacher conference today. Overall Jack is doing well. He needs to work on his fine motor skills, specifically with coloring in the lines, writing out his name and drawing himself (head, eyes, nose, mouth, body, arms and legs). She said he is a little behind socially, but that all boys are. Her example was that Jack still takes toys from other kids, but does give them back when asked. (Side note -- if all boys are socially behind girls, why not have a different standard for boys vs. girls? Then I could tell if he was socially behind the other boys in his class... you know, all 4 of them!) She also said that most boys need help with their fine motor skills because boys tend to prefer to be doing something out and about instead of sitting and doing things at the table.
So as far as I can tell, we have a few things to work on with Jack, but nothing of great concern. We just need to get him to sit and focus at fine motor skills!
Owen is pretty much the exact same way. Those fine motor skills are a bugger! I do think there is a big difference between boys and girls - i.e. all the boys I know are a little slower in language development - and I like your idea of somehow looking at them a little differently.
ReplyDelete