Monday, October 4, 2010

Four years ago, we met Jack for the first time

In the adoption world, there is a term called "gotcha day" or "adoption day".... and families define it differently -- the day courts approved the adoption, the day you get custody... but for me, the most defining day was the day we first laid eyes on our children. That is our "family day".
Four years ago we saw Jack for the first time. I can still remember that day vividly... my heart racing, the anticipation, the feeling of timing moving so slow and yet so fast all at the same time.


Our little Jack was asleep in his crib, so quiet and unassuming; that little 13 pound, 6 month old guy that completely changed our world.

Fast forward four years and we have a pre-kindergartner who runs everywhere, has a contagious laughter and gets everyone to just fall in love with him.
Aren't we the lucky ones who have the privilege of being his parents.

And on this amazing day, I turned in the first self-generated post-placement report. 4 years ago, Kazakhstan gave us Jack. And today, I got to gloat about him and tell whomever reads the 3 page document and 4 pages of pictures, that he is thriving and is loved to pieces.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry I missed this post on the actual day! I love how you expressed the very special feeling of first meeting Jack and laughed about the "gloating"! Great post : )

    ReplyDelete