Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fevers are back again...

After many months of not talking about it, not trying to get hopeful... it still happened. It was August when Brooke had her last PFAPA fever. (She fevered in September and October but those were probably cold/flu related.) I was holding out hope that she was growing out of it, but it is back.

She started to fever on Saturday when we went to Laguna Beach's Winter Wonderland arts and craft fair. I didn't have a thermometer so I don't know how high it was, but I'm guessing around 102 or 103. We had plans to meet family for lunch, which we still did. But Scott ran to the drug store to get some Tylenol. During that time, Brooke was lethargic and just laid on me. But shortly after the medicine kicked in, she was a little better. We were close to Scott's sister's house so we went there to put her down for a nap - an almost 3 hour nap. I gave her more Tylenol around 5:30pm and checked her temp at 7:30pm - high 100's. I gave her Motrin about an hour later and she slept through the night.

Sunday morning she woke up with a temp in the 101's... so more Motrin. After her nap, the fever was up in the 102's so more Tylenol. And again at bedtime.

Monday morning she woke up with a temp in the high 99's... more Tylenol. But fortunately that was it. She was her old self that day and no fever that night or Tuesday morning.

I've noticed that for this episode, the high fevers affected her -- making her more clingy and crying. Also, this time she complains of an "owie" in her mouth. The first time she did this was Saturday morning at breakfast (just a few hours before the fever spiked).



Surprisingly this photo was taken about an hour before her fevers started.

No comments:

Post a Comment