Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Another ear infection

Monday I picked up the kids early at 3:45pm. Jack didn't look well and the first thing he said to me was "my (right) ear hurt". Apparently he had thrown up after lunch - a little suspicious because sometimes he throws up before eating but not 30-45 minutes afterwards. He fell asleep on the 7 minute drive home from day care. He woke up when we got home but then fell back asleep on the couch. He didn't have a temperature but I did put numbing drops in his right ear because he said it hurt again. I asked him what he wanted to eat for dinner and he said nothing. But when I offered him strawberries he said yes to that and a smoothie. He was eating about 3 or 4 strawberries while I was making his smoothie and he said "MOMMY!!" and then threw up all his strawberries. After cleaning him up and changing him into his pjs, he had two sips of his smoothie and then literally fell asleep on me while I was holding him at 6:30pm and he was out for the night. He woke up just before 1am and came into my room saying both his ears hurt. His temp was 99.8; I gave him ibuprofen, ear numbing drops and put him back to bed, where he slept until 6:15am.


In the morning Jack didn't have a temp, but when I took him to the Dr. at 9am, his temp was 99.2. And they confirmed a double ear infection, level 4 (highest/worst level) in both ears. So he is on antibiotics for 10 days and numbing drops. By mid-day, his temp was up to 100 and although dosed up with (new) antibiotics and ibuprofen (again), he was lethargic and just laid on the couch.



Fortunately by the evening he was his old self - chasing after his sister, riding his bike, playing Star Wars and eating dinner. The poor boy was lined with medicine though...


- pill for possible reflux


- 1-1/2 tsp for appetite enhancer


- 1 tsp of antibiotics


- sinus rinse


And in the morning he has a nasal spray and antibiotics again.

No comments:

Post a Comment