I was warned that around 3 or 4 years old, adopted kids could ask questions, but Jack never did. I was also told that parents get asked the serious questions at times when you least expect it, such as in the car. And that is exactly what happened to me.
I picked Jack up from school, buckled him into the car seat and took off. Not 2 minutes into the car ride, this happens:
Jack asks, "Mommy, did I like being in your tummy?"
I think: OMG, really?? Now he asks the question... oh crap, how do I answer this… okay, keep it simple.
I say, "You weren't in my tummy."
Jack asks, "Why not?"
I say, "Mommy's tummy is broke so you grew in another tummy and then Mommy and Daddy came to adopt you. And I think you liked it in that tummy because it is nice and cozy in there. Although you were born a month early so maybe you didn't like it because you wanted to come out early."
I think: Oh crap - that wasn't simple!
Jack asks, "Why is your tummy broken?"
I say, "Because my eggs are old and don't work so no baby can be in my tummy."
Jack ask, "How did I get in the tummy?"
I think: okay, okay, okay.. way too early for the sex talk… how do I keep this simple? Do I talk about the caterpillars cocooning at home or the ladybug larvae at home…. no too complicated.
So I say, "All girls are born with eggs, when they get fertilized, they grow into babies."
Jack says, "Maybe your eggs will get better so you can have more babies."
I say, "No, I don't want any more babies because I have two perfect babies with you and Brooke. Do you want any babies?"
Jack answers, "I have a baby -- Brooke but she is getting big but I can still hold her but she can't hold me because I'm big."
I think: Phew, I've diverted the conversation, let's keep going down this path…
So I ask, "And who is Daddy's baby?"
Jack answers, "Me and Brooke"
And then he finishes the conversation by saying, "Mommy, I'm sorry your eggs are broken."
All I said was thank you. What I didn't say was that I'm so very, eternally grateful that my eggs were broken because it took those broken eggs to lead me to Jack and Brooke and I'd have it no other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment