Friday, April 5, 2013

Birthday, Easter & Spring Break

Jack's 7th birthday fell on Easter this year, which was also the weekend before Spring Break. Jack went rounds and rounds on what he wanted to do for his birthday party. Game truck, Ninjago theme, shooting range, trampoline jumping.... but in the end, he went with a video game truck because he didn't want to do anything physicial because his sister was still recovering from her surgery (awww.... sweet big brother).

On the day before his birthday/Easter, we had a video game truck pull up in front of our driveway and had 23 5 - 7 year olds over to celebrate. I was surprised how many parents dropped off their kid and left. Parents we casually know dropped off their son; these parents we've had play dates before and our kids have been in school together for two years... this I can understand. But there were also parents whom I'd never met before and still couldn't pair them up with their own child... they dropped off. I guess at 7 years old, some parents are cutting the cord. Or they loved the idea of 2 hours without a child to do Easter shopping!

 Jack had a ball - he later told me it was THE BEST party ever! After about an hour,maybe 5 to 6 boys came out of the truck and played handball, basketball and soccer in the front. But eventually all went back inside the truck. But the majority of the boys never left the inside of the truck! After cupcakes and favors, most everyone left. A couple friends stayed for a bit afterwards while we cleaned up and opened presents. Jack has clearly communicated with his friends - lego, star wars, ninjago was the major gift theme.
That evening we dyed Easter eggs in preperation of the Easter bunny.... who had a whole new canvas to hide Easter eggs this year in a much bigger house! In previous years, the Easter bunny really only had 2 rooms to hide eggs in. But this year, eggs were everywhere! The kids were finding eggs throughout the entire day. We even found one the day after Easter.
The morning of Easter was special for me. As I laid in bed waiting for the kids to get up, Jack quietly came in and I whispered Happy Birthday to him. He climbed into bed and I just cuddled my 7 year old in bed with me for about 15 minutes. But then Brooke was up and both were excited to hunt for Easter Eggs, so the day began.... finding the eggs, looking through their Easter basket, opening Birthday gifts from family, eating Easter candy, putting together more legos from Jack's birthday. It was a fabulous morning.
By mid-day, Scott's family was over and we had lunch. Some kids watched a movie while others did (more) legos. In the afternoon, after more cupcakes for Jack's birthday, the kids went into the pool - first time in the pool since we moved in. Poor Brooke couldn't go in because of her surgery, but that didn't stop her from getting into a bathing suit, getting her feet wet and play with the water guns. Jack and his cousin Mia were in the pool for probably four hours. It was a great afternoon watching the kids and just relaxing.
And after the whirl-wind weekend, Jack was on Spring Break. Monday was a quiet day at home playing with his new birthday toys. Tuesday, he came with Scott and Brooke to meet me for lunch, then the three of them went bowling. Wednesday Jack went with Scott to take Murphy to the vet for a check up and then had a playdate with a school friend. Thursday Scott took both the kids to the movies. Friday Jack helped Scott with things for the sell of our previous house - and wrote thank you notes! Although Jack didn't go anywhere, he sure did do a lot to keep busy!

Jack has learned the art of negotiating. He came to me the other night - right around bedtime and said to me, "Mommy, I know I didn't eat my dinner very fast or shower very fast, but I would really like to stay up a little later - since it is Spring Break and I don't have to go to school tomorrow - so that I can watch the Angel's (baseball) play."  Seriously?! How do I say no to that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment