Monday, July 29, 2013

From Orange County, CA to Kazakhstan (sort of....)

We spent a fun afternoon with another family at the Orange County Fair.... a bus ride to the fair, walk around some shops, dinner (no small feat with 5 kids ages 3 - 7 who all wanted something different), 4 rides, dessert and we were done! I like the idea of limiting us at the Fair otherwise it gets out of control. It was great that both our kids were big enough to ride all the kiddie rides and enjoyed it. They are now at the point where they are remembering things such as going to the OC Fair last year so they were really looking forward to it this year.






The day after spending the afternoon submerged at the Orange County Fair and all that Southern CA has to offer, we went to a pool party where all but 1 kid was adopted and all but 2 kids were adopted from Kazakhstan. When I told Brooke what was special about this pool party - that the kids were also born in Kazakhstan, she exclaimed, "Like ME!"

We had met a few of the families before - so it was nice to catch up with them and we met some new families as well. There was also a 23 year old Kazakh girl who was here for the summer. It was so beneficial for me to speak with her -- to get her thoughts on seeing these adopted kids from her country, thriving here. I was also able to ask her about interesting tidbits about my kids own biological history, which is rare and invaluable.

The kids ranged in ages from 3 to 7 and between Lego's, star wars and the pool, they were in heaven. I still don't think they really understand the depths of gathering like this - being around other kids born from their far-away country or being with other adopted kids, but I do and as I continue to expose them to events like this, perhaps one day they'll also see the beauty in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment