Sunday, October 6, 2013

I guess it takes 7 years....

All day on October 4th, I had a nagging feeling I was forgetting something...but I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't a family member's birthday, it wasn't an anniversary... I just knew the day meant something but couldn't put my finger on it. And then it hit me... October 4th was the day - 7 years ago - that we met Jack for the first time. Apparently it takes me 7 years to "forget" that adoption date. 

I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing... good that I don't think of our adoption all the time or bad that I could forget such a momentous day in our lives? Or perhaps I'm just now so consumed with our daily life. Because 7 years ago, that little 13 pound, 6 month old, most adorable little boy on earth consumed our whole world and he continues to do so. For example, on this weekend, we had Jack's baseball practice Friday night and packed for camping. Saturday morning we went to Jack's soccer game and then immediately went camping with his Cub Scouts pack. Saturday was filled with setting up camp, learning bike safety, eating lunch, going on a bike ride, playing capture the flag, doing cub scout activities, eating dinner, going to a Bat seminar and Bat walk, hanging around the camp fire listening to skits and then cuddling in the tent. Sunday was spent packing up camping, unpacking from camping once home, doing fundraising for Cub Scouts and school, and then going to Jack's baseball game. Life is never dull with Jack, that is for sure! 

Chilling at soccer. 

In the camping tent.

Running from 3rd to home.

We've always been open that we adopted our kids and they know it, but it still comes out in funny ways. Jack and I were talking about his 2nd cousin, who just because a big brother for the 2nd time. Jack asked if they adopted a new baby. In Jack's world - that IS how families are formed! I explained they gave birth to the baby and kept him. But with some families, the baby is born and then the Mommy and Daddy come to adopt that the baby. He just said okay and that was it.

I pray I can always answer his questions clearly and that his adoption doesn't consume his world - just as it (his adoption) doesn't consume our world, but rather we thrive and have our FAMILY consume our world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment