It has been months since I've posted and my only good excuse is that we've been deeply engaged with our kids activities and just enjoying our lives together. My not-so-good excuse is that I started a new job in March and it has been very consuming but I love it.
I'm now working at Mission Hospital as their Communications and Marketing Director. I am in heaven. The environment is so different than corporate america. The people here are good, salt of the earth people, who really come to work every day to make a difference in another persons life. I constantly hear comments such as "it is an honor to help the patient" or "I'm more than happy to help" or "what can I do to help you". The work is good, the commute is great and the people are just amazing. Although I maybe working more hours (on the iPad in the evenings), I'm a much happier person.
But I'm horrible at posting now -- I need to catch up from Jack's birthday, Easter, Scott's birthday and Memorial weekend... but in the meantime, a quick summary of the kids.
Brooke is just loving Kindergarten. She is constantly telling stories, learning sight words, reading and we are working on her math. At her open house this month, she was jumping out of her skin to show us each and every corner of her classroom. Proud girl! She started jiu-jitsu in May and is just loving it. She also started piano in March and although she doesn't practice as much as she should, she does want to participate in the recital this summer. Brooke (at almost 6.5 years old), still has no wiggly teeth, but now officially out-weights her brother. She still enjoys gymnastics, and I'm amazed at her strength. I always knew she has great core and leg strength, but she was on the bars the other day and she did so well - even her teacher said how strong her arms are. Brooke is most certainly our fish. We had no idea when we bought our house last year - that came with a pool - just what a fish she is, but clearly we were meant to have a pool for her. She would be in the pool all day if we let her.
Jack is a busy boy with jiu-jitsu, baseball and piano - he also started piano. He is advancing slightly faster than Brooke but I think that is more because of his age and grasping concepts faster. I'm enjoying playing with him - I'll play a song with his fingers on mine to get a feel for it. It is a wonderful bonding experience. His jiu-jitsu and baseball are both coming along. He loves having his sister at jiu-jitsu and has earned 3 game balls in baseball this season. Pitching is one of his favorite position, but is also great a other positions such as 2nd, short stop and 1st. Jack has a recent doctor appointment and although we did a bone x-ray and blood lab work to check his growth (5% for weight at 46lbs and 7% of height), he is totally normal.
A couple conversations I recently had with Jack that I want to post in order to remember:
I'm now working at Mission Hospital as their Communications and Marketing Director. I am in heaven. The environment is so different than corporate america. The people here are good, salt of the earth people, who really come to work every day to make a difference in another persons life. I constantly hear comments such as "it is an honor to help the patient" or "I'm more than happy to help" or "what can I do to help you". The work is good, the commute is great and the people are just amazing. Although I maybe working more hours (on the iPad in the evenings), I'm a much happier person.
But I'm horrible at posting now -- I need to catch up from Jack's birthday, Easter, Scott's birthday and Memorial weekend... but in the meantime, a quick summary of the kids.
Brooke is just loving Kindergarten. She is constantly telling stories, learning sight words, reading and we are working on her math. At her open house this month, she was jumping out of her skin to show us each and every corner of her classroom. Proud girl! She started jiu-jitsu in May and is just loving it. She also started piano in March and although she doesn't practice as much as she should, she does want to participate in the recital this summer. Brooke (at almost 6.5 years old), still has no wiggly teeth, but now officially out-weights her brother. She still enjoys gymnastics, and I'm amazed at her strength. I always knew she has great core and leg strength, but she was on the bars the other day and she did so well - even her teacher said how strong her arms are. Brooke is most certainly our fish. We had no idea when we bought our house last year - that came with a pool - just what a fish she is, but clearly we were meant to have a pool for her. She would be in the pool all day if we let her.
Jack is a busy boy with jiu-jitsu, baseball and piano - he also started piano. He is advancing slightly faster than Brooke but I think that is more because of his age and grasping concepts faster. I'm enjoying playing with him - I'll play a song with his fingers on mine to get a feel for it. It is a wonderful bonding experience. His jiu-jitsu and baseball are both coming along. He loves having his sister at jiu-jitsu and has earned 3 game balls in baseball this season. Pitching is one of his favorite position, but is also great a other positions such as 2nd, short stop and 1st. Jack has a recent doctor appointment and although we did a bone x-ray and blood lab work to check his growth (5% for weight at 46lbs and 7% of height), he is totally normal.
A couple conversations I recently had with Jack that I want to post in order to remember:
A few days ago, we were outside playing in the street with
neighbors/friends and a car pulled out of its driveway. Jack was playing with his
tennis rack and ball when the ball got away from him. I told him to stop. He
said that the ball was going to get run over by the car. I told him that I can always buy
a new ball but I can’t buy a new Jack. He said, "of course you can – you
can just go adopt another me." I said that it wouldn’t be “you”. He said that I could just
adopt another “Jack”. He was told that it would haven’t his personality... and there is never any way to replace him.
Another time, we were in bed talking about being a good big brother and
protecting his sister, not picking on her, esp. in front of his friends. I
asked him – do you remember what Pappy (my dad) use to tell me about Nini (my sister)? He said yes,
that she is the only one who will always be with you for your whole life. I was surprised he
remembered because it has been months since I told him that. A bit later
in the conversation, he turned to me and asked, “when are you going to get
another baby”. I asked if he wanted one and he said yes. I asked “a baby like
Lizzy” (our neighbors just adopted a baby girl who is now about 9 months old),
he said no – that he wanted a brother. I said that if we did that, that it
would take away time from him because instead of sitting here in bed with him,
I’d have to be giving the baby boy a bath and getting him ready for bed. Jack
said that he’d be in the bath with us.
All in all, the family is good -- no great. We spend many late afternoons and evenings with our neighbors and friends on the street ... either just playing in the street, or dinner at our house, or a block party. Although we are typically at one kid activity or another during most evenings of the week, I wouldn't have it any other way - they are thriving and so are we. My only sadness is that I can see my kids spending more and more time with friends vs. just being with Mommy and Daddy, and hanging out. They are already slipping away - which I understand is what needs to be and I love they have friends and are social. But I still do love my cuddle times with them. So even now, when they ask to sleep in our bed, I'll still say YES!
No comments:
Post a Comment