
Biological families don't have this milestone in their lives, but I would venture to guess most adoptive families (okay maybe only adoptive families that have someone as timeline-obsessed as me....) watch the calendar and count days/weeks/months/years. How many days/weeks/months/years was my child not in my loving arms and at home?
Brooke was at a baby house for the first 11 months of her life. She has now been home for 11 months (see bottom picture of her taken this morning). It is the crossing point. For some reason, having her home now longer than she was without us, allows me to breathe a sign of relief. I can't really explain it or put my finger on it. Maybe it is because I've now had her longer than anyone else, I just don't know.
Regardless, I'm grateful for those at the baby house who cared for her and loved her. But I'm also so grateful to have her home. She'll probably never remember her baby house life and I pray she'll always call us her home and never question it, for it is true.
It seems as if it has/is taking Brooke longer to adjust to being at home. Or perhaps her headstrong personality is coming out more and more. She is full of life - both ends of the spectrum.
Brooke is determined. If you don't give her what she wants, when she wants it, she screams and cries. If she doesn't want to do what you want her to do, she screams and cries. And every day when we tell her to clean up her toys, she cries. And when she does, there is little to get her to stop. We've joked she has a witching hour; which use to be around 5pm, but now seems to be 7pm. When she is tired, she is cranky and that is never good. I write this not to put Brooke in a bad light, but rather, to tell the truth so it doesn't seem as if we're hiding it.
But on the other end of the spectrum, every day we see her smile and receive many kisses from her. She is clearly attached to us and our family. She knows who to go to, to get what she wants. She is content sitting in her high chair, stroller or car seat. But she also loves to run and be a part of the action, and yet, almost always wants to hold my hand when we are walking together. She loves to be held; is an affectionate child who loves cuddles.
Someday, that headstrong, stubborn nature will serve her very well! Congrats on a big milestone : )
ReplyDeleteJodi
Congrats to you! She looks great, and appears to be behaving just like a princess should ;-)
ReplyDeleteKristi
Susan,
ReplyDeleteStephanie is exactly the same. I remember from Brennan that it is definitely the age, but I've been told by others that the screaming is really a girl thing. You are not alone! It's hard to believe it's been a year already (ours is next month!).
All the best,
Joanne