Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Another Ear Infection

On Monday, Jack had a low grade fever -- about 99.something. And he complained his right ear hurt. Early on Tuesday, I saw something (wax?) in his right ear, he said it still hurt him and he still had a low grade fever. Scott called to schedule an appointment and I took him after his nap.

The Dr. confirmed it -- he has another ear infection, but only in his right ear. I'm so sad this has happened to our little guy again. But I think we caught it early because it wasn't in his left ear and by bed time, his fever went up to over 100 degrees (meaning it was getting worse?). During his last ear infection (in mid-February) the ENT said if he got another one or still had fluid in his ears by May, he'd need tubes again. Given this is now his 3rd ear infection in a 4 month time span, we're thinking Jack will need tubes again.

The plan right now is to wait 2 weeks for his 4 year old check up to have our PCP look at his ears to see if they are still infected, better, worse, same, spread to the left ear, etc. And to see if the tubes have fallen out (since they are still stuck somewhere in his ears). Then discuss what our next step is. Do we wait for our already scheduled ENT appointment at the end of May (6.5 weeks later) or see if we can get in sooner?

In February, the ENT confirmed the tubes are not where they are suppose to be. I'm guessing if they were in the right place, maybe these last 2 ear infections wouldn't have surfaced..... so why wait the 6.5 weeks when he could get another ear infection and damage his hearing?

No comments:

Post a Comment