We had orientation two days ago to meet Jack's teacher - Mrs. Bartalotta. She is a young grandmotherly figure who seems very nice. She use to teach with our neighbor, who only says good things about Mrs. Bartalotta. Jack and I spent about 40 minutes in the classroom, getting to know the space, talking to other Moms and Mrs. Bartalotta. I found out here will be 15 kids in Jack's Tuesday/Thursday class; 7 are girls, 8 are boys, 5 (including Jack) are from last years class. Orientation is designed to get the kids acclimated to the new classroom and teacher.... although I think Jack will be okay considering I had to literally picked him up and carried him out of the classroom because he didn't want to leave.
And today was Jack's first day of Jr. Kindergarten!! Last year he went 2 days a week from 8 to 11:30am for preschool. This year is a step up for Jack - he'll still be going 2 days but now he'll be going from 8am to 2:30pm, he'll eat lunch there, nap there and use the common area bathroom (no longer attached to his classroom). Just don't ask me the different between pre-K and Jr. Kindergarten because I'm not really sure, although I think it has to do with where his birthday falls and his (reading?) skill level.
On our way to school, we talked about his new teacher, new and old friends, playing nicely, using the bathroom, eating lunch, taking naps, etc. He said that when we got there, that he'd give me a really big hug because he was going to school! And I really think he meant that I needed the hug (which I did!).
He had a great day. He ate all his lunch (so impressed!) and I do believe he even napped - without his may-may. His teacher told me that he did wonderful and was such a polite little boy!
Jack with his teacher - Mrs. Bartalotta.

No comments:
Post a Comment