Monday, August 1, 2011

Tubes and adenoids surgery

In July, we took Jack to an ENT appointment where it was confirmed Jack needed tubes put in again. During that appointment, the ENT requested we get an x-ray done to see if Jack's adenoids had grown back. He had them removed about 4 years ago and with him being under 2 years of age, there was a 5% chance of them growing back.

Adenoids, also called Pharyngeal Tonsils, are a pad of tissue located deep behind the back of the nose in the upper throat. They can get enlarge, blocking the airway. They are also a breeding ground for bacteria... which may lead to ear infections. I also read online that they could cause hearing issues.

I took Jack to have the x-ray done. Although he was nervous, he did great -- took it on the first take! As it turns out, Jack's adenoids are enlarged at a 3+, which means they are blocking his airway from 50 to 75%! Although I'm not thrilled (in the least) about his airway being blocked, in a strange way, I'm glad the adenoids are there.... it gives a reason for why he has battle with ear infections so much. By having the adenoids removed and tubes put in, hopefully this will solve his ear problems.

When Jack heard that his adenoids grew back, he immediately started to whimper and said that he didn't want to get his blood taken. He had remember from a week and half prior, that the Dr. told us to get blood work done only if the adenoids had grown back. (Seriously... he remembered that when it wasn't even something said directly to him.) When I took him to get his blood draw, he wasn't thrilled, but was fine. We did an I Spy book while we were in the waiting room for about 35 minutes. When we got called back to the lab, he started to cry softly while we waited for the kid room. As soon as we walked into the kid room, he started to sob pretty hard. He was in my lap, I was holding him down, another tech held his arm while the main tech took the blood. Poor boy was hysterically crying; saying he didn't want to do this. I know the whole crying was less than 5 minutes, the hysterically crying was less than a minute, but it still just breaks my heart -- never fun to hear your child crying while you are holding him down -- not just holding him. He knew it was coming, he handled it pretty well -- up until the actual time -- and as soon as it was over, he was fine... even took off the bandaid himself.

The night before the surgery, I told Jack to put the books he wanted bring into a bag. Brooke started to do the same. Jack told her that she couldn't come with us because he was getting
tubes put in and adenoids taken out. Brooke said she wanted to go too because she loved him. (Awww!!)


When we arrived at the surgery center this morning (8am), Jack was good. Scott read him books and he was totally fine. But, just as I suspected... as soon as we were called back and put into prep area, he started to cry. He saw a person next to us with an IV in his hand and that freaked him out... thinking it was a blood drawn. When the nurse and I explained no needles, no blood, he calmed down. Then someone said something about a mask on his face and that started him crying again. But fortunately I was able to calm him down quickly. At 9am, when the anesthesiologist came, Jack was a little tense, but handled. Fortunately she has 2 small kids herself and understood. She even carried Jack back - instead of him being wheeled back in the gurney - which he had told me he didn't want to lay down on. I don't know how it went once they rounded the corner out of my eyes sight, but up until then, he -- and I -- were good. Of course, after I was out of his line of sight, I started to cry. My poor baby having to go through this again; being so brave going back with strangers, knowing he'll fall asleep for surgery.

The Dr. came out just after 10am and told us it went well. He gave us a picture of the adenoids they removed. About 2 or 3 centimeters. He said the ear drum is thin, which happens when you have chronic ear infections. But he also said it went well and that Jack did great. A few more minutes before they called us back. Jack was asleep, although opening his eyes from time to time. They eventually took out his IV, which I'm glad they did before he saw it. Around 11am, he woke up enough to say, I want to go home. We put his pants on him and left. He slept the whole time. We got home and put him in our bed. He asked for water, drank it and went back to sleep. We were told he should sleep most of the day, but he got up at 1:30pm. He was a little pale, but did say he was hungry. He ate a go-gurt, ice cream sandwich and some milk, and parked himself on the couch to watch Star Wars.

Three hours later, he asked to go pick up his sister from day care. And after dinner, he was begging to go outside to play. His recovery time (estimate 2 to 3 days by the doctor), was less than 10 hours.

And he is doing great with the medicine. The evening of the surgery, he complained of two blisters on the sides of his tongue. I gave him Tylenol (not even the prescription with codine) and he slept through the night. Although the blisters are still there the next day, he doesn't need any pain meds for it. He is taking his ear drops (4 drops per ear, 3 times a day for 4 days) and antibiotics (2 times a day for a week) without any problems. What a champ!

No comments:

Post a Comment