I'm not even sure how to start this post... it isn't my normal post on our activities with the kids... and maybe I shouldn't post it or even write it, but here I go anyway. I'll give you that I'm emotional. September is just an emotional month for me. Maybe because the kids start school and it is a new routine. But I think it is because in September 2006 and September 2008 we were getting ready to travel to Kazakhstan to see our kids for the first time. I guess it could be odd that now is when I get sentimental... not on their birthday or their gotcha day. I think because I remember just how anxious I was. In September 2006 and September 2008, we had pictures of our kids, we knew they were out there.... but we were just waiting for travel dates to get to them. I was filling my days with packing, unpacking and repacking; going over lists and plans; anxiously waiting for an email of news or FedEx with that last paperwork.
I know people who casually say "I don't know how I got pregnant." And to be painfully honest, comments like that really upset me. I mean - REALLY? You don't know? You don't know you had unprotected sex? Seriously?! I shouldn't let it upset me, but it does. I know exactly how I got my kids. I know every paper I had to get, sign, notarize, stamped, blessed and then done over and over... and over and over again. I know every phone call I had to make to facilitate their adoption. I know ever tear I shed before I got to hold them in my arms.
Don't get me wrong... I do it again in a heartbeat. I actually went through Jack's Journey Home book last night with him. I kept a daily blog while in Kazakhstan. My amazing sister took the days we were in Kazakhstan and made a book out of it. As Jack and I flipped through the pages, he giggled at some of the pictures of him as a baby and asked questions about some of the more scenic pictures of town. Between answering him, I skimmed some of my writings. I remember some of it clear as day and then some other memories already have started to fade so I'm very grateful I wrote things down.
And I'm about to do that again. I'm about to start Jack's annual post-placement report. Brooke has her last social worker post-placement report next month so I won't start writing her annual post-placement report myself until next year. I know some people who don't like the idea of post-placement reports. But I really don't mind them. I get to take a few hours out of my life to reflect on Jack's past year - what he has done, seen, accomplished, achieved, experienced. And I get to write it down, sent it away, file it away and maybe one day... go back, read it and dust off those memories that we're making right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment