Thursday, November 17, 2011

Parent-Teacher Conferences

We had Jack's kindergarten parent-teacher conference on Tuesday. I volunteer in his classroom so I felt like I had some insight into his school environment but I still came prepared with a list of questions -- where is he academically and socially, how is his handwriting and holding of a pencil, where does he excel (or does he?), how can we help at home, etc.?

Academically he rated most everything right where he needs to be. Only two items were rated slightly less - meaning he was making progress but not 100% there (but of course, when I tested him at home, he hit it every time!). Socially and physically he was right on target and even excelled in several areas such playing well, listening to adults, etc. His teacher seems to be pleased with Jack and gained more insight into his history to learn how much she can push him. And we have some ideas how to help him at home to advance him -- sight words, sounding things out to spell, helping with reading, taking time during homework, etc. Overall, I walked away a very proud parent.

We had Brooke's first ever parent-teacher conference on Thursday. Again, I came prepared with questions but most of them were already answered. According to her teacher, she loves arts, crafts, listening center and the dramatic play area, which we think fits her to a T. Brooke already knows all her upper case letters, which is advanced for her age! I did ask about her comprehension vs. just repeating from memory. The teacher said she'd look at it but didn't think Brooke was behind in any way. When I asked about Brooke's speech, the teacher did say she recalls thinking there was something but has just gotten so use to all the kids speech it was hard to pin-point what it was. (I think she blurs her words, not saying all the syllables.) We think we'll get her evaluated through the school next month. But again, we were very pleased with the report.

We are some lucky parents! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment