Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Brooke's surgery

At Brooke's 5 year old check up, we discussed with the doctor if Brooke should have her umbilical hernia fixed. The doctor recommended it, so we scheduled an appointment with a surgeon to get another opinion. After meeting with him, we decided to move forward with the surgery. The hole for her umbilical hernia is small, but the "outie" of her belly button is large. The hole should have closed by now and since it isn't, there is little chance it will close on its own. And many, many years down the road, if she was to ever get pregnant, an umbilical hernia could cause complications.

We have booked Brooke's outpatient surgery for Friday March 22. This way if there are any complications (which is not anticipated) we have the weekend to be with her and Scott will be home the following week. We pushed out the surgery for another two months because she just started soccer and swim lessons and after the surgery, she can't do any physical activities for two weeks. And since this isn't urgent, we decided to wait until after soccer is over.

I've told Brooke that she will have surgery but she doesn't really understand. I told her we will go to the hospital, lay in a bed with wheels, have a mask put on her, she will go to sleep, the doctor will fix her belly button and then she will wake up and spend all day with Daddy and I. She liked that last part.

Jack is very nervous for her because he remembers a few of his surgeries and really hates the mask part (being put to sleep). He has suggested that we use his inhaler mask (that he never uses) to practice with Brooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment